Is it because these two countries are essentially islands which are far away from continent in the north?
- All incoming travellers are quarantined in guarded hotels and tested twice before release. This has been the policy since April 2020. The Liberal government of Canada started this in Feburary 2020, and that too in a rather haphazard and inefficient manner.
- Testing is available to all, at any time. Again, the policy since April 2020. In Canada, the provinces were left on their own. Ontario, for example, only tested if you have severe symptoms, early on during the epidemic, allowing it to spread.
- Contact registers are in place to be able to contact trace, isolate and test very quickly and efficiently. In Canada, it depends again from city to city. Toronto has essentially given up on contact tracing.
- Both Australia and New Zealand have very proactive leaders who will take very firm and sharp action with no notice. In Canada, we have Justin Trudeau, who relies on Dr Tam. Nothing more to be said.
- Both Australia and New Zealand have a very compliant population who will follow advice and instruction for their own benefit. In Canada, we HAD that. From March 2020 to July 2020, we had a very compliant population, but the politicians wasted that goodwill.
- Their leaders are willing to spend whatever amount of money it needs to contain this virus. They know that it will be repaid many fold as businesses etc. can remain open if the virus is eliminated. In Canada, we are also prepared to spend money. But most of it is wasted since we are not planning to eliminate the virus, just "manage" it.