Monday, May 30, 2005

Is Love A Mental Illness?

I was driving to work this morning and one of the news items was that a new love is like a mental illness. Unfortunately I caught the very end of it, so could only think of all the mad Hindi movies I get to see now and then.

Later, the NBC reported that scientists now say the brain activity of those in a whirlwind romance is nearly identical to those with mental illness. This could explain why Tom Cruise is reportedly acting crazy.

In fact now I think of it, it makes sense. A girl I know from work recently hooked up with someone, and her boyfriend is obsessed about her. Without giving any more details, let's say he recently marked the 23rd week of the anniversary of the day they met. Now having known her for 3 years I don't see what the fuss is about [names and numbers may have been changed to protect the identity of the mentally ill]. She finds it cute. I am reminded of Dil Chahta Hai, of Saif's future wife's ex-fiance.

Actually the old Indian movie Mann (with Aamir-1-movie-per-decade-Khan) has a very good skit on mad lovers. Romeo And Juliet, Laila-Majnu, Shireen-Farhad, Heer-Ranjha, Sohni-Mahiwal are all about the power of love that has crossed the boundaries of rationality.

No comments: