What is happening in Nova Scotia ? Important for us to know as Canadians.
- 21 years ago the Supreme Court of Canada ruled that the Mi'kmaw nation has a right to earn a "moderate livelihood" from fishing. The court later said the federal government could regulate the Mi'kmaw fishery but must justify any restrictions it placed on it.
- Sipekne'katik First Nation launched a "moderate livelihood fishery" last month. Mi'kmaw fishers were storing their catches at their facilities in this fishery.
- Many commercial lobster fishermen say they consider the new Sipekne'katik fishery in St. Marys Bay illegal and worry that catching lobster outside the mandated season, particularly during the summer spawning period, will negatively impact stocks.
- A "suspicious" fire has now destroyed the lobster facility.
- This case has pitted Indigenous and First Nation rights against regulations of fishing abided by others, and has sparked a lot of tension in the community in Nova Scotia.