Thursday, June 02, 2005

DVDs Needed

I bought a couple of Hindi DVDs right now, both 2-cd packs (so four movies in total). They were Kaal, Kyaa Kool Hai Hum, Veer-Zaara and Swades.

Now I know I said I thought Kaal was a crappy movie, but it was the best combo I could find with Kyaa Kool Hai Hum, which has had excellent reviews. Again, Veer-Zaara, I am not a big fan of (in fact my experience of the movie at the theatre was spoiled by a series of mishaps that belong in a comical disaster Ben Stiller movie), it had Swades, which I had wanted to watch for sometime, and I did tonight.

Swades, well, what can I say. The first half of the movie I understood exactly what Mohan (SRK) went through. I myself feel no ties with Bangladesh (having been brought up abroad) but whenever I go, I feel sorry that the country is in a mess and people like me are not doing anything. Then again, people like me if they want to help, other people in Bangladesh like the Fanatic Mullah, the Greedy Politician and the Merciless Mobster will have a different say. All of this was captured in the movie, but it was very documentary style. And I did not like the ending at all. No matter what I do, I am not going to give up material comfort for helping a village. And NASA - that was very unrealistic climax.


The DVD Rack I Got For My Birthday


My DVDs

As you can see I have to get more DVDs to fill up this rack I got for my birthday. I like it. I am so glad I didn't go out and buy those awful spiral ones I was thinking of buying.

No comments: